Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Day 4

Here's the finished sauce from last night. Mmmm it was delicious! the tomatoes cooked down for a few hours. I sauteed an onion and some ground beef in butter and added it to the sauce along with basil and garlic (and salt of course!)

I dipped slices of eggplant in egg and fried them in butter in the skillet till they were browned and then layered them with sauce and goat cheese. It baked for about 20 minutes and it was done. So good! More of a stew than a casserole, but who cares? We had it with salad and were quite satisfied.

Breakfast this morning was more of my pseudo-yogurt with blueberries and a peach. For lunch I came home from work and we had some left over tomato meat sauce that I'd saved mixed with the rest of the beans from Saturday night. Italian Chili! Could have used some corn bread, but still, I wasn't complaining.

A lady at work today gave me an article from the Redwood Times all about a guy in Southern Humboldt who's harvesting wheat! I'd certainly be willing to drive down to pick it up if he would sell me some. I know one of the farmers quoted in the article, so maybe I'll call him and check it out. Apparently there's a variety of wheat called Sonora that was brought to California by the Spanish in the 1820s and is very well adapted to our climate. And get this - Humboldt County wheat took the first prize at the 1920 World's Fair in Chicago! Amazing! I feel like I'm a wheat detective. I'll find some yet!


No comments: