Thursday, September 6, 2007

Day 6

This is a picture of the fresh salsa I made for dinner tonight, but more on that later......

Breakfast this morning was yogurt and a peach. I opened the second quart of yogurt that I made on Saturday and - oh joy! - it was actually the right consistency! None of the grittiness that was in the other jar..... The only difference that I can think of was that one accidentally got more starter yogurt than the other. They both got pretty hot in the oven - too hot I think. It was pretty mild yogurt - not a lot of tang, but it sure was nice to have smooth yogurt for a change!

For lunch I scrambled my remaining 3 eggs with the rest of the cooked vegetables from last night and some goat cheese. It would have been great if I hadn't accidentally used way too much salt!

After work I bought:
  • 1 really big red bell pepper and 2 jalapenos from Orleans
  • 1 poblano from Willow Creek
  • 1 walla-walla onion from Blue Lake
  • 2 thin carne asada steaks
  • 1 big Klamath Gold heirloom tomato from Orleans
  • 1 bunch of cilantro from Blue Lake
  • A few more Italian prune plums from Shively
  • 1 Anana melon and a few more dapple dandy and flavor queen pluots from Willow Creek
I had a yoga class from 5:30 - 7pm, so I had to divide my cooking time. when I got home from work at 4:30 I chopped up the 5 super ripe red tomatoes from yesterday along with the heirloom tomato, the jalapenos, the cilantro, a whole head of garlic, and salt. That's the picture at the beginning of this post. It's delicious, but I'm afraid I made way too much. I had started the beans soaking at lunch time, and now I turned them on and went to yoga.

Before I got home, Johnny got the grill going. It was a beautiful day - perfect from grilling outside. He took care of grilling the meat while I chopped up the onion and the poblano and red bell peppers and skewered them. Grilling the veggies took a while, but we were eating by 8pm. We had grilled peppers and onions, steak, and beans topped with cheese and lots of salsa. Basically a burrito without the tortilla. Johnny added sour cream, lime juice, avocado, and hot sauce to his, but I didn't miss them too much.

This diet isn't nearly as hard as I expected it to be. I've tried dieting to lose weight before, and I just haven't had enough will-power. This is totally different. I think it's the positive thinking of "I'm going to eat something" compared to the negative when you're dieting: "I can't eat something." It definitely takes a lot more planning than I'm used to, but it's not really that hard - at least for the first six days. We'll see what I have to say in a month!

No comments: