Monday, September 24, 2007

Here's a few images from dinner on Saturday night. I simmered the dry black beans I'd bought at market for a few hours in the afternoon. At about 1 hour till dinner, I grilled a red and a green bell pepper, a Walla-Walla onion, and a Poblano pepper in the cast iron skillet.

I set that aside and grilled two flank steaks (sorry vegetarians!)

I combined the two and let the fajita mixture rest while I made chapatis - which are a type of Indian flatbread that my mom used to make back in her hippy days. I got the recipe from Laurel's Kitchen, one of her old cookbook from the 1970s. They're basically like tortillas - you mix flour, water, a little oil (I used softened butter) and salt; kneed the mixture for a while; shape it into balls; roll them out with a rolling pin; and cook them in the skillet. Here is the dough ball:
Here are the finished chapatis. I didn't do too good of a job making them round, but they still tasted great - especially after not eating any wheat for a month!

We made two "tacos" each, with beans, fajita veggies and meat, grated cheese, cilantro, sour cream, and fresh tomato. Delicious! The chapatis worked really well as tacos - they held together just as good as any flour tortilla.
Johnny was vending at the same fair the on Sunday, so again, breakfast was a little bit of a rush. I had yogurt, honey, and 2 small Bartlett pears. For lunch I had boiled potatoes, butter, salt, and pepper. I've never felt more Irish than this month - I've eaten potatoes pretty much every day!

I had a few hours free on Sunday afternoon, and it was a beautiful fall day, so I decided to thresh the rest of my wheat. I still had one bundle left. I discovered in the process of threshing this one that there were actually a lot of weeds mixed in that I think I accidentally threshed with the wheat in the last two bundles. I though the weeds were just another variety of wheat, but I think I was wrong. That's why I've had so much trouble with chaff - I've been trying to thresh weeds! This bunch was a lot easier and yielded me more than the last two combined. Here's what it looks like now, almost chaff free.
For dinner on Sunday, I made four more chapatis, while Johnny made the main course. We were going for Indian (or as Indian as food can get without using any spices.) He cooked the cubed lamb meat that I bought on Friday with butter, added a whole bunch of red chard, and let it cook down. I'm always amazed at how a big bundle of greens can become so little! He added some of the tomato sauce from last week, and a spoonfull of sour cream. The result was so good it was hard to believe that it didn't have any fancy spices in it! We ate the lamb mixture like stew with chapatis on the side.

As we were cooking dinner, I started a project that I've been meaning to do for a while - wild yeast hunting. This is an idea that I got from the Omnivore's Dilema: apparently you can capture the wild yeasts that live in the air and use them to make bread. The resulting bread is called Pain au Levain- levain is leven in French. The starter mixture is called the chef: You mix flour and water together and let them set uncovered outside for a while, cover them, and then feed the yeast more water and flour every day. In about three days it's supposed to be able to make a loaf of bread. I'm dubious, but I wanted to try. I let it sit out on the front porch for about a half hour. Hopefully we have nice wild yeasts in Humboldt County - apparently they're different from region to region. Here's what it looks like now:
Not too exciting.....

For breakfast this morning I had the usual yogurt with a half of an Anana melon and honey. For lunch Johnny and I shared the left over fajita fixings without chapatis. I made a ton of beans on Saturday, so we had plenty for lunch, with lots to spare. I'm sure I'll think of something to do with them sometime this week.

For dinner tonight I decided to try pizza dough with a yeast-less crust. I used the last of my first batch of flour to make basic chapati dough. Johnny shaped it into a perfect looking crust - He's worked in enough pizza joints that he's pretty good at rolling out the dough. Here it is in the pan:
I layered tomato sauce (I'm so glad I made that sauce when I did, it's really come in handy!) with basil, Fontina and Mozzarella cheese, and a zucchini. I sauteed a shallot and a head of garlic and put that on top of the zucchini. The shallots that I bought at the market on Saturday are beautiful. Strong too - the one I cut up made my eyes water worse than most onions.

Here's a picture of the finished pizza:
It turned out good - the crust could have been a little crispier, but I wasn't complaining. It's pretty amazing to eat wheat that I've threshed myself. It adds a whole new appreciation for wheat that I've never had before: It really takes a lot of energy to get it from the field to the pizza!

No comments: