Thursday, September 13, 2007

A farmer friend from Hoopa gave me a few of his Asian pears today. I ate one and this is the other. They're huge! The one I ate was more russeted and had a real butterscotch flavor - Delicious!

Breakfast was the usual yogurt, peach and honey. Lunch was boiled purple potatoes with sour cream and cheese. I feel like I'm really getting in touch with my Irish half eating so many potatoes!

I had my yoga class until 7:00 this evening and afterwards I was so tired and relaxed that more than anything I just wanted to go out to eat. But I got a hold of myself and decided to cook a frittata. I've never made one, so I looked up a recipe in the old faithful cookbook: The Joy of Cooking. It said to flip the frittata (eggs and vegetables) between two pans to cook both sides. Sounded interesting.......

We had 4 duck eggs and 1 chicken egg left from the dozen I got last Friday. The duck eggs were huge, so I figured it would be plenty. They came from two different ducks, and you can really see a difference in their color. It's pretty cool to have met the ducks and chickens who laid my eggs!

I cut the rest of our potatoes (can't have a meal without potatoes you know!) into thin fry wedges, put them in a roasting pan, dotted them with butter, and roasted them in the oven while I was cooking the frittata.

I sauteed red onion, broccoli, an Italian sweet pepper, and spinach and then added the beaten eggs. Here's what it looked like in the pan:

The idea is to put another greased pan over top of that one and then flip them over so the frittata cooks on the other side in the other pan. I got Johnny to help with the flipping, but alas, it didn't work! The egg was too stuck to the bottom of the first pan and wouldn't flip into the other pan. We managed to make a horrible eggy mess and the perfect frittata was ruined. We salvaged it by just scrambling it as best we could. It tasted delicious even if it didn't look perfect! I guess I shouldn't have attempted something so fancy on a Thursday night...

Eating like this is almost like exercising a muscle I didn't know existed. More than anything tonight I wanted to just give up and go out to eat - it reminded me of working out and pushing myself beyond my comfortable limits. It always feels good in the long run if you can push yourself the extra mile!

2 comments:

Meg & Dave said...

Here's to messing up beautiful fried egg concoctions and just scrambling them like you knew you would! LOL! I don;t know how many time ommelets and fritatas have turned into scramblers. A tip... Next time if you put a tight lid on and cook the fritata real low and throw a bunch of cheese on top you will get something resembling kiesh "sp?" without the crust. Just keep the heat low.

:)

OstaraGypsy said...

talk to chad about making eggy entrees.... he is the egg-man for sure. i don't think he ever flips the frittata.
he uses the iron pan in the oven as well. also glass pie pans. he has a very simple recipe for quiche that is super fast and easy... but i think it has flour in it...

SPINACH PIE/QUICHE

1 box chopped spinach – cooked & strained
4 beaten eggs
½ cup oil
1 cup chopped onion
garlic clove, chopped
½ cup grated parmesean cheese
1 cup bisquick

Mix all ingredients.

Grease a pie plate (bread dish, etc).

Bake for 30 minutes @ 425 degrees.

Enjoy!

Submitted by: Jeanne B.

yup... flour for sure, we always make our own bisquick with flour butter & baking powder and salt...

maybe something to try "next month" :)
see you soon! glad to know you enjoy the eggs :)
chad made dutch apple-blackberry baby pancakes last night. YUM! eggy pancakes with fruit & cream.