Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Days 11 and 12

It's been two busy days at work - I haven't had too much time or energy to cook, but I've done pretty well. I feel like I'm really getting the routine of eating locally - I don't have to think about it as much as I did at first.

Tuesday morning I had a peach, yogurt, and honey for breakfast, and left-over stuffed Delicata squash for lunch.

We had an old friend over for dinner, so I decided to make Shepherd's Pie. After work, I bought a red onion and 2lb of hamburger. I sauteed the onion, a zucchini, and an Italian Sweet Pepper (pictured above.) When veggies were well cooked, I set them aside, browned some hamburger, and then mixed the veggies back in. I also added the rest of the butter pesto mixture I made the night before. No, this was not a low fat meal!

I boiled some red potatoes and Johnny mashed them with a little butter and milk. (Did I mention this is not a low fat recipe?) I scooped the hamburger/vegetable mixture into the bottom of a pan, coated it with the potato, and baked the whole thing for about 15 or 20 minutes. The result was an incredibly delicious dish that was way too buttery for any one's good. We had it with salad and wine enjoyed ourselves thoroughly.

Breakfast this morning was the same old thing - yogurt with honey and a peach. I heated up some apple cider instead of tea. It was good, but I think I drank too much - I could feel it sloshing around in my belly for an hour! For lunch I had two fried eggs and left over potatoes from Monday's dinner.

For dinner tonight we had left over shepherd's pie and I steamed the rest of the giant bag of pea-shoots that my farmer friend gave me. They were delicious! It felt good to eat a whole mess of greens!

I think I'm getting the rhythm of this. I'm a little sick of potatoes, but other than that, I feel pretty good. I'm definitely enjoying my food! I should probably try to eat less butter and cream, but I just don't have any other options for oils. I haven't gained any weight in the past two weeks, but I haven't lost any either. I'll be interested to see how it changes in the next two weeks.

No comments: