Monday, September 3, 2007

Day 3

I'm realizing today how much work this is going to be! The last few days I feel like I've been in the kitchen at least three times more that I'm used to - And Johnny's even doing most of the dishes!

For lunch yesterday I had a salad. Unfortunately I discovered the our fridge is getting to cold and that most of the spring mix had frozen into a big chunk. I salvaged what I could and made a salad with the cold beans from the night before and a tomato. I used the dressing I'd just made. It was ok. Not spectacular, but deffineately edible and satisfying. I had some watermelon afterward and felt pretty full.

Dinner was delicious - wild salmon fillets and roasted potatoes all cooked with butter and garlic; a spinach, tomato, and basil salad (with the roasted pepper dressing,) and red wine. Deffinately the best meal we've had yet. Here's a picture of my plate.

It's disconcerting cooking like this since there's so many things that I would usually add to recipes that I can't. It's an excercise in simplicity!

Today I had to work, so I was up pretty early and had yogurt, blueberries, and the remaining two plums, with a drizzle of honey on top. This was the first time I tried the yogurt, and it was a little wierd - almost more like super fine curd cottage cheese than yogurt. It didn't smell or taste bad, so I ate it anyway. Once again I hope I don't die! I'll try to make more next weekend maybe. I brought some of the dried mint and lemon balm to work and had tea. The mix is really quite good!

I was pretty hungry by lunch time - I can usually nibble on something at work, but my options were severly limited so I just came home a little early for lunch. I heated up the leftover potatoes from dinner, and grated some cheese on them. I also cut up a tomato and ate it just plain with salt. I finished off last piece of watermelon and went back to work quite satisfied.

I'm realizing how hard it is to really feel satisfied after a meal when there's no grains in it- Thank god for potatoes!

After work I bought a few things: spring mix to replace the frozen stuff, a few Dapple Dandy and Flavor Queen pluots from Willow Creek, a bunch of ripe tomatoes from Orleans , and a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from Willow Creek. I usually drink red wine only, but I usually drink beer when it's hot, and it's been hot, so....white wine it is!

I got home and cut up the tomatoes to start a sauce for dinner tonight. It' simmering on the stove right now.

No comments: